Friday, October 17, 2008

One thing Obama and I agree on

"The Democrat recovered somewhat when he said that though he supported gay civil unions, marriage was a 'sacred union' between a man and a woman."

But when he ran for the U.S. Senate he called the Defense of Marriage Act "monsterous."

"I opposed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. It should be repealed and I will vote for its repeal on the Senate floor. I will appeal any proposal to amend the U.S. constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying. I know how important the issue of equal rights is to the LGBT community. I share your sense of urgency." ( Source: In His Own Words, edited by Lisa Rogak, p. 52 Mar 27, 2007) From http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Civil_Rights.htm

What is the Defense of Marriage Act? "The federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman for purposes of all federal laws, and provides that states need not recognize a marriage from another state if it is between persons of the same sex. Forty states have their own Defense of Marriage Acts (DOMAs)." (www.domawatch.org)